Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Ushered In By Thanksgiving

“Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise;
give thanks to Him and praise His name.”
Psalm 100:4
Happy Thanksgiving!


"Let us come before His presence with Thanksgiving..."
Psalm 95:2

A heart of genuine thanksgiving and praise to the Lord ushers us across His threshold as we dwell in the Lord’s presence throughout the day. As we seek to abide in Him, our thankful hearts prepare the way for us. With a grateful and reverent posture before the Lord, we expect to hear His still, small voice and sense His presence. “The eyes of the Lord are on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His unfailing love.” Psalm 33:18 (NIV

It is more about Whom we are thanking for the giving than what we are thanking Him for.  "Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples!"  1 Chronicles 16:8

“In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:7 (KJV
) Genuine thankfulness flows from a humble and reverent heart before the Lord. As we go to Him with gratitude and acknowledging Him in all things, our hearts are postured to receive direction from Him. As we commune with Him from the depths of our hearts throughout the day, we can bring Him our petitions, our fears and our struggles. With the humility of thankfulness for and acknowledging Him as a canvas, our hearts are poised reverently before Him. He guides us and leads us. “I know that it will go better with God-fearing men, who are reverent before God.” Ecc. 8:12


When my children approach me with a humble and thankful heart, it is much more meaningful and fruitful as I talk with them, rejoice with them, pray with them and guide them. Their hearts are ready. But when they are being selfish, stubborn, prideful and entitled, they don’t hear and are not ready for my instruction and help. The condition of their heart is key to our communication and our authentic, vibrant relationship as parent and child.

It is the same with us and our Heavenly Father, who loves His children perfectly. When our hearts are right before Him, He can minister His Truth to us. He encourages and equips us. He communes with us. “He who sacrifices thank offerings honors Me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.” Psalm 50:23 (NIV
"A fuller revelation of His truth" as Spurgeon puts it.

I want to make it routine not just to count my blessings, but to continually give thanks to God for them. To acknowledge Him in all my ways. To bow before Him with sincerity, thankfulness and reverence. I want to dwell in His presence, commune with Him and receive His encouragement and love. The fruit of that is “sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.” Col. 3:22 (NIV)


Gracious Father, You are the giver of all good things. By Your grace, keep my heart poised humbly before You in sincerity, reverence and thankfulness. I want to enter Your courts with praise in my heart. Usher me in with a thankful heart. Remind me to acknowledge You in all of my ways. Thank You for loving me perfectly and for Your redemption. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Your Devotional Journal

Saying Grace ~ Bring your heart to God in prayer.

Your Portion ~ Where has God met you in His Word today?

Nourishment ~ How does God want to mold and change my heart?

Second Helpings ~ How does God want me to be a doer of His Word today?

Time for Dessert ~ What can I go and share with others today?

"You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
and praise the name of the LORD your God,
Who has dealt wondrously with you..."
Joel 2:26


“I will praise God’s name in song and
glorify Him with thanksgiving.”
Psalm 69:30

No comments: